Building code for Roof Pitch Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

City of Frisco Question and Answer Board » Frisco Q & A » Building code for Roof Pitch « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Eric Kubera
Username: Erickubera

Post Number: 1
Posted on Sunday, July 18, 2010 - 09:14 pm:   

Can you please advise on any building code that sets a minimum for the pitch of a roof?
When obtaining an estimate for patio covering, I was told that a shingled roof wouldn't work the way I wanted due to minimum roof pitch code.
The answer for "what is Frisco's code" would suffice, but if you can briefly summarize any reasoning for a minimum slope, I'd love to understand the logic behind it.
Thank you,
ERK

Steve Covington, Chief Building Off
Username: Steve

Post Number: 80
Posted on Tuesday, July 20, 2010 - 04:10 pm:   

Section R905.1 of the International Residential Code specifies the minimum roof slopes based on the type of roof covering material. Roofing material manufacturers also provide minimum slope recommendations. Asphalt shingles require a minimum slope of 2 inches in twelve inches. To utilize a lower slope you would need to choose a different roof covering material such as a standing-seam metal roof or a built up roof covering.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: