Red Light Camera Enforcement Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

City of Frisco Question and Answer Board » Frisco Q & A » Red Light Camera Enforcement « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Socrates Simpson
Username: Thinker

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, October 28, 2005 - 03:43 am:   

I have heard rumour that Frisco was installing enforcement cameras? What's the scoop?

Todd Renshaw, Chief of Police
Username: Todd

Post Number: 246
Posted on Monday, October 31, 2005 - 10:04 am:   

The cities of Frisco, Plano and Richardson, conducted a joint review through a Request for Proposal for the best vendor for automated red light enforcement technologies. The recommendation will be presented to the Frisco City Council tomorrow night, November 1st.

Socrates Simpson

Post Number: 2
Posted on Wednesday, November 02, 2005 - 01:15 am:   

So...does this mean that the plan is to implement them, or are they still in talks about doing them?

Post Number: 247
Posted on Wednesday, November 02, 2005 - 09:16 am:   

The City Council authorized the city manager to sign a contract with Redflex Technologies at last nights council meeting. We plan on having the systems operational around the first of the year at select intersections. We are now in the site selection phase.
A press release will be created prior to implementation of the systems.

Razorback
Username: Razorback

Post Number: 8
Posted on Friday, November 04, 2005 - 09:42 am:   

Chief,

What are the criteria being used for site selection?

Thanks,
Razorback

Post Number: 248
Posted on Tuesday, November 08, 2005 - 11:05 am:   

We ar working with the traffic engineering department to establish the proper locations based on accident and traffic volume analysis. The vendor will then do a survey to establish frequency of violations and we will take all of that data and make a final determination.

Razorback
Username: Razorback

Post Number: 9
Posted on Tuesday, November 15, 2005 - 10:02 pm:   

Since the traffic engineering department will be doing the analysis, will this analysis be presented to council or part of any council meeting background materials? Also, when the vendor does a survey will they be accompanied by a police officer to ensure that a violoation is a true violation and in turn pull over the violator? Finally, since tax dollars at work here are the vendor's survey and analysis reesults going to be made available?

Post Number: 249
Posted on Wednesday, November 16, 2005 - 02:02 pm:   

From Captain Joe Williams, Project Manager:

The Police Department along with traffic engineers have looked through crash and violation data for intersection related wrecks. We have compiled a list of intersections we believe could benefit from the red light camera technology. The list has been sent to the vendor so their engineers can begin the preliminary site survey and locate the proper utilities needed for the installation.

The vendor and their contractors will install the equipment over the next several weeks. I do not foresee a reason they need to be accompanied by a police officer. It is important to realize that police officers can still issues criminal citations for those that run red lights even if the intersection is equipped with a camera. Motorists would not receive a civil sanction if the violation resulted in a criminal citation.

The red light camera program is a publicly funded activity and thus inquiries for information will be made public via public information requests.

If you have additional questions, contact jwilliams@friscotexas.gov

Steve
Username: Westsider

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, November 17, 2005 - 10:57 am:   

Which intersections are being recommended for camera enforcement? What was the –specific - crash and violation criterion used to determine ‘best’ locations? What engineering methods – other than installing a camera - will be taken to improve those intersections recommended for camera enforcement?

Thank you.

Post Number: 250
Posted on Friday, November 18, 2005 - 02:13 pm:   

From Captain Williams:

The identified intersections for red light camera enforcement are:

Dallas Parkway and Gaylord
Main Street and Dallas Parkway
Warren Parkway and Dallas Parkway
Coit and Lebanon

We looked at the last 12 months of accident reports and citations to determine which intersections would have the cameras installed. The above intersections account for l2 accidents due to a motorist running a red light. There are other identified intersections as well, but due to current road construction installation of cameras is not possible.

Brian Moen, our Transportation Manager, is out of the office this week and is not able to respond right now. He has told me that the yellow light timing for signals are set to standards as set by the Institute of Transportation Engineers and are based partly on the speed limit of the road. You also may have noticed that additional traffic signal heads are being installed at intersections which allow motorists to see the signal lights from further distances and at slightly different angles. They are also looking at signal phasing and getting the signal lights “synched” up to each other.

I’d be happy to discuss this further with you if you’d like. Call me at 972-335-5502 or email jwilliams@friscotexas.gov

Joe Williams
Frisco Police Department

Socrates Simpson

Post Number: 3
Posted on Wednesday, November 30, 2005 - 12:06 am:   

When is the installation and actual operation planned to start?

Per law, you have to have them operational for 30 days prior to sending tickets right?

Post Number: 253
Posted on Wednesday, November 30, 2005 - 09:45 am:   

From Captain Williams:

When is the installation and actual operation planned to start? The intersection design and engineering has already begun with installation beginning soon. Total implementation should occur within the next 90 days.

Per law, you have to have them operational for 30 days prior to sending tickets right? This is incorrect. Our city ordinance does not require a “grace period.” It is our intention to have a period of time where warnings are issued rather than the civil citations. The exact amount of time has not been finalized, but 14 days seems appropriate. Prior to issuance of civil citations, a public relations and media campaign will be underway to help citizens understand how the red light camera systems work and how to avoid receiving the citations.

I have attached a link to the city ordinance regarding red light camera enforcement:
http://documents.ci.frisco.tx.us/weblink/index.asp?DocumentID=38491&FolderID=396 74&SearchHandle=0&DocViewType=ShowImage&LeftPaneType=Hidden&dbid=0&page=1

Feel free to email Captain Williams at jwilliams@friscotexas.gov for more questions.

Doug
Username: Doug

Post Number: 31
Posted on Monday, December 05, 2005 - 11:01 am:   

As I understand it, these red light cameras only detect and ticket passenger cars proceeding straight through a red light at speed. If the vehicle is turning (right or left), comes to a stop before proceeding, or even slows down before running the red light, they won't get a ticket. Also, a vehilce with a trailer, such as a semi or landscaping truck, cannot be ticketed by these camears.

That being the case, can you tell me, in how many of these 12 accidents would the violator have been ticketed by the camera?

Post Number: 254
Posted on Tuesday, December 06, 2005 - 09:03 am:   

From Captain Williams:

The cameras will photograph vehicles that fail to stop and enter the intersection after the light is red regardless of direction traveled. The cameras will be specifically set to monitor certain lanes where problems with red light running exist. The system is capable of capturing turning violations on red as well.

Vehicles towing trailers are not exempt from receiving a civil citation. If there is a visible license plate on the trailer, a citation will be mailed when a violation occurs.

Of the 12 accidents, I believe all would have received a civil citation, had they been monitored by a camera.

If you have further questions, feel free to email jwilliams@friscotexas.gov

Socrates Simpson

Post Number: 4
Posted on Wednesday, December 21, 2005 - 11:04 pm:   

"The system is capable of capturing turning violations on red as well."

So...you are saying that you will be ticketing those who turn right on a red light?

Post Number: 259
Posted on Thursday, December 22, 2005 - 08:55 am:   

Those that fail to stop at a red light are subject to receiving a civil penalty or a criminal citation.

Brian C
Username: Brianc

Post Number: 57
Posted on Thursday, December 22, 2005 - 11:50 am:   

The information regarding this research, is this available to the public. Such as accident, time, date, etc? I assume this is in a compiled report and was produced by tax dollars so should be accessible?

There was an article in the Frisco Enterprise about costs, revenue sharing,etc. Can you post those details.. how much are we paying out, receiving,etc.

Traffic Nerd
Username: Trafficnerd

Posted on Thursday, December 22, 2005 - 11:54 am:   

For the seven intersections (4 locations listed, but seven intersections) above that have been identified for camera enforcement, what are the overall intersection crash rates, crash rate from red light running specifically, and injury vs property damage only breakdown of the crashes.

For the seven intersections identified, will all approaches be monitored? Or certain ones?

Also given that Texas Transportation Institute research shows that most red light crashes happen after the light has been red for over 6 seconds, and that most red light camera tickets are issued for people entering the intersection less than 1.5 seconds after the light has turned red, how much of an impact are the cameras anticipated to make on safety? Also, at what threshold after the red will citations be issued? 0.1 seconds? 0.5 seconds? 1 second?

Also, given that Garland is trying to buy a police helicopter with the proceeds from their 4-6 cameras, how does Frisco anticipate using their revenues?

Socrates Simpson

Post Number: 5
Posted on Friday, December 23, 2005 - 04:03 am:   

You come to a stop and do a LEGAL right turn, will the cameras trip and take your photo during a right turn?

(Message edited by amyg on December 29, 2005)

Amy Gill, Assistant to the City Manager
Username: Amyg

Post Number: 101
Posted on Thursday, December 29, 2005 - 09:28 am:   

Brian C. -
Information about accident times, dates and locations are available via a public information request. Please contact police records at 972-335-5502 for more information.

The contract with the vendor specifies that for each approach where the equipment is installed a monthly fee of $ 4,870 will be paid. The civil penalty for each violation is $ 75 for the first two violations. Penalties received in excess of the monthly equipment fees will be placed in a Traffic Safety Fund and be utilized for future safety enhancements.

If you have further questions, contact me at 972-335-5502 or email at jwilliams@friscotexas.gov.

Capt. Joe Williams

Post Number: 102
Posted on Thursday, December 29, 2005 - 09:32 am:   

"Traffic Nerd",

Recommendations have been made as to where the cameras ought to be placed based on accident and citation data that we have compiled. We have publicized the data on this message board and also in the local newspaper. The data that I compiled regarding the accidents were those accidents where a vehicle ran a red light. Most of the accidents involved injuries, but I'm unable to specifically answer that at this time (I'm currently on vacation and will return January 3rd).

Based on data, we have recommended the following intersection approaches:

1. Warren at Dallas Parkway
2. Gaylord at Dallas Parkway
3. Main at Dallas Parkway
4. Coit and Lebanon

Each of the intersections will be equipped to monitor one approach (direction of travel).

I am not an engineer and cannot speak about the Texas Transportation Institute's study, but in my experience I have seen accidents occur when drivers fail to stop at red lights well before the 6 seconds you speak of. Other cities with red light enforcement cameras have seen a reduction in violations in excess of 60 percent. It is our opinion that if the number of violations are reduced, then accidents will be reduced as well.

The timing threshold you speak of is currently being discussed. I anticipate the system will begin taking pictures either .01 or .02 seconds after the light turns red and the vehicle enters the intersection.

Penalties received in excess of the monthly equipment fees will be placed in a Traffic Safety Fund and be utilized for future safety enhancements.

If you have further questions, contact me at 972-335-5502 or email at jwilliams@friscotexas.gov.

Capt. Joe Williams
Frisco Police Department

Post Number: 103
Posted on Thursday, December 29, 2005 - 09:34 am:   

"Socrates Simpson" -
No. If a driver comes to a complete stop prior to making a right hand turn, no photo will be taken.

Capt. Joe Williams
Frisco Police Department

SFuller
Username: Sfuller

Posted on Friday, January 27, 2006 - 12:44 pm:   

What is the status of the installation of red light cameras?

Post Number: 260
Posted on Monday, January 30, 2006 - 08:58 am:   

We anticipate that the equipment will be installed by the end of February with warning letters commencing immediately after installation. Civil citations will begin being mailed following a 30 day warning period. As we get closer to implementing the program, a public awareness campaign will begin.

If you have further questions, contact Capt. Joe Williams at 972-335-5502 or by email: jwilliams@friscotexas.gov

Socrates Simpson

Post Number: 6
Posted on Monday, January 30, 2006 - 09:37 am:   

I have seen the cameras in Plano. From my understanding, Plano, Frisco and Richardson are using the same vendor? If so, what is the second camera positioned at the white "stop here" line at the intersection for?

Post Number: 263
Posted on Monday, January 30, 2006 - 11:29 am:   

From Captain Williams:

The second pole is the flash unit.

If you have further questions, contact Capt. Joe Williams at 972-335-5502 or by email: jwilliams@friscotexas.gov

Socrates Simpson

Post Number: 7
Posted on Monday, January 30, 2006 - 11:56 am:   

Nope...not that one. That is obvious. I said that there was a "the second camera positioned ". It is just like the one on top of the lights now. But it is shooting the white stop line.

Post Number: 264
Posted on Monday, January 30, 2006 - 03:50 pm:   

From Captain Williams:

That would be the video trigger device instead of cutting loops in the pavement.

Traffic Nerd

Posted on Wednesday, February 01, 2006 - 10:49 pm:   

Captain Williams,

Thanks for your continued input on the topic, I and I hope others appreciate it greatly.

In a previous message you mentioned that:
>> The timing threshold you speak of is currently being discussed. I anticipate the system will begin taking pictures either .01 or .02 seconds after the light turns red and the vehicle enters the intersection.

0.01 Seconds is 5 inches of travel at 30 mph, 7 inches at 40 mph, and 8.8 inches of travel at 50 mph. Is it reasonable to begin ticketing at a distance less than 1/2 the width of the white stop bar at the intersection (bar is typically 24" wide)?

Many LED signal modules have not reached full intensity, if they have even illuminated yet at 0.01 to 0.02 seconds. In fact, with respect to arrow indications, Institute of Transportation Engineers material specifications (adopted by TxDOT) do not require the LED arrows to reach 90% intensity for 75 milliseconds (0.07 seconds).

Research from North Carolina indicates a 0.4 second threshold is approriate. Rhode Island law requires a 0.2 second threshold. I believe TTI has made a recommendation related to the threshold length but I can't find it right now so I will not hypothesize as to its length. A brief web search reveals that the 0.01 to 0.02 Frisco is looking at is significantly shorter than the vast majority of camera programs in the country.

Earlier you mention that Frisco is of the opinion that a reduction in violations will result in a reduction in crashes.

Has Frisco quantified the reduction expected? If so what is it? If not, how will the system be evaluated for success? Will empirical-bayes testing be performed to verify that any reductions that may occur are a result of the enforcement program and not simply regression to a mean?

Has Frisco quantified the revenue expected to be generated by the system? If so how much will it be?

Are safeguards in place to ensure that the revenues generated by the system stay in the traffic safety fund, and are not transfered to other city programs as the have been in Garland?

What are Frisco's plans for speed cameras? Afterall, speed is a factor in far more crashes than red light running, and (more improtantly to some) speed cameras are proven to generate far more revenue.

Post Number: 265
Posted on Friday, February 03, 2006 - 10:13 am:   

Thanks for your continued input on the topic, I and I hope others appreciate it greatly.

In a previous message you mentioned that:
>> The timing threshold you speak of is currently being discussed. I anticipate the system will begin taking pictures either .01 or .02 seconds after the light turns red and the vehicle enters the intersection.

From Captain Williams:
If above is what I wrote, then I made a mistake. The threshold will be set at .1 or .2 seconds – tenths of a second.

0.01 Seconds is 5 inches of travel at 30 mph, 7 inches at 40 mph, and 8.8 inches of travel at 50 mph. Is it reasonable to begin ticketing at a distance less than 1/2 the width of the white stop bar at the intersection (bar is typically 24" wide)?

From Captain Williams:
By my calculations of feet per second = speed X 1.466 (4.398 feet per second) So the difference between .1 and .2 seconds is nearly 4 ½ feet

Many LED signal modules have not reached full intensity, if they have even illuminated yet at 0.01 to 0.02 seconds. In fact, with respect to arrow indications, Institute of Transportation Engineers material specifications (adopted by TxDOT) do not require the LED arrows to reach 90% intensity for 75 milliseconds (0.07 seconds).

From Captain Williams:
75 milliseconds is 75 thousandths of a second – probably faster than the human eye can detect. Were talking .2 seconds – 2 tenths of a second.

Research from North Carolina indicates a 0.4 second threshold is approriate. Rhode Island law requires a 0.2 second threshold. I believe TTI has made a recommendation related to the threshold length but I can't find it right now so I will not hypothesize as to its length. A brief web search reveals that the 0.01 to 0.02 Frisco is looking at is significantly shorter than the vast majority of camera programs in the country.

From Captain Williams:
Like I said, the correct timing will be .1 or .2 seconds.

Earlier you mention that Frisco is of the opinion that a reduction in violations will result in a reduction in crashes.

Has Frisco quantified the reduction expected? If so what is it? If not, how will the system be evaluated for success? Will empirical-bayes testing be performed to verify that any reductions that may occur are a result of the enforcement program and not simply regression to a mean?

From Captain Williams:
Other cities that have installed red light cameras have reduced the number of violations in excess of 60 percent. It is my opinion, that if violations are reduced, so will right angle collisions.

Has Frisco quantified the revenue expected to be generated by the system? If so how much will it be?

From Captain Williams:
We have not. Any revenue collected above the cost of the program will be placed in a Traffic Safety fund. I have no idea how many violations will occur, so therefore no way of predicting the total revenue these will generate, if any.

Are safeguards in place to ensure that the revenues generated by the system stay in the traffic safety fund, and are not transfered to other city programs as the have been in Garland?

From Captain Williams:
See above. The Traffic Safety fund established will house the monies collected in excess of expenditures. The remaining funds will only be utilized in the furtherance of traffic safety.

What are Frisco's plans for speed cameras? Afterall, speed is a factor in far more crashes than red light running, and (more improtantly to some) speed cameras are proven to generate far more revenue.

From Captain Williams:
Speed cameras have not been discussed.

Socrates Simpson

Post Number: 8
Posted on Monday, January 30, 2006 - 09:20 pm:   

Ah....

That leads to a second question. Since cameras have a wide view, how wide is the "trigger" on that camera from the white line? In terms of feet of course.

Post Number: 266
Posted on Friday, February 03, 2006 - 10:16 am:   

While I am not an expert in video technology, it is my understanding that select pixels in the field of a camera lens can be isolated and serve as a the triggering device when any movement is detected within those select pixels.

Socrates Simpson

Post Number: 9
Posted on Monday, February 06, 2006 - 08:54 am:   

That does not answer the question. I did not ask how the camera worked. I asked what the FOV (field of view) the camera had. In other words.

A suspected violator crossed the white line into the intersection. How far from the line will the camera "trigger" the other camera to take the picture. IE...a car passed the white line by two feet then the light turns red. Is that sufficient FOV of the camera, or is it more, or less, than that?

Post Number: 267
Posted on Monday, February 06, 2006 - 10:49 am:   

A photo will be taken if a car surpasses the white line when the light is red AND: the .1 or .2 second threshold has elapsed and the vehicle is traveling faster than a preprogrammed speed (I think it is 12 mph although the final decision of this has not been made). Much like a football breaking the plane of the end zone, a photo will be taken if all the above parameters are met.

I’d be more than happy to answer any further questions, it may be helpful to call at 972-335-5502 and speak directly with me.

Joe Williams, Captain

Ron Herman
Username: Ron

Post Number: 13
Posted on Monday, February 20, 2006 - 03:55 pm:   

My sons car is my name but he's the only one that drives it. If he runs a red light and the camera catches him, am I going to receive the ticket?

Post Number: 273
Posted on Tuesday, February 21, 2006 - 07:49 am:   

Yes, the citation is sent to the registered owner, however, you can fill out a form which "nominates" the correct driver and another citation will be sent to the correct person, and yours voided.

Socrates Simpson

Post Number: 10
Posted on Tuesday, February 21, 2006 - 08:43 am:   

So...when are the lights going up? Are you waiting for the construction to finish on that part of the Parkway?

Post Number: 274
Posted on Wednesday, February 22, 2006 - 07:26 am:   

To what lights are you referring?

If you meant cameras, we don't have a specific date as of this time. Their design is in the approval process in the engineering department. Ample notification will be made prior to their implementation.

Steve
Username: Westsider

Posted on Monday, March 27, 2006 - 10:43 am:   

Chief Renshaw, since the police department is working with the engineering department, what other intersection engineering improvements have been made?

I ask because traffic engineering organizations, like the Texas Transportation Institute (Texas A&M) recommend engineering improvements be made to intersections where red-light running is prevalent.

Post Number: 280
Posted on Tuesday, March 28, 2006 - 08:55 am:   

I've asked our traffic engineer to respond. We have been working with them on the design of the camera installations.

Socrates Simpson

Post Number: 11
Posted on Thursday, May 18, 2006 - 11:14 am:   

When are the RLCs going up? Saw an article saying that it would be soon.

Post Number: 292
Posted on Friday, May 19, 2006 - 01:12 pm:   

http://www.friscotexas.gov/Departments/communications/index.aspx?id=194

FRISCO’S FIRST RED LIGHT CAMERAS GO ON-LINE

(May 18, 2006 – Frisco)

Beginning Saturday, the Frisco Police Department will be launching a new campaign against red light runners when the first of Frisco’s red light cameras will become operational.

This new effort will use digital cameras at designated intersections to capture still and digital video images of red light offenses. The cameras use a sensor to detect when the light turns red and are triggered when a vehicle enters the intersection after it changes. One of the cameras will capture two images – the vehicle traveling before it enters the intersection while the light is red, then another image of the vehicle in the intersection while the light is red. The cameras will also record the date, time, location of the offense, as well as the amount of time that the light had been red when the image was captured. The speed limit of the roadway where the offense occurred and the speed of the vehicle as it passed through the intersection will also be recorded. A second camera will record a close image of the rear license plate of a vehicle that enters the intersection after the light has turned red and a digital video system will also record 12 seconds of video – 6 seconds before the violation and 6 seconds after.

A notice of violation will be mailed to the registered owner of the vehicle. It will contain three of the still photographs taken of the violation with the date, time and location printed on them. An Internet web address will also be included where the video of the violation can be viewed.
According to the Federal Highway Administration statistics, more than 2.7 million intersection crashes occur across the country annually, resulting in over 9,000 fatalities each year. Each year more than 50% of all reported crashes and 22% of all injury crashes occur in an intersection.
This effort to crack down on red light runners is part of the Frisco Police Department’s goal of reducing collisions by effective traffic enforcement. “With the growing number of residents and business traffic within the city, we make it a priority to do all we can to encourage voluntary compliance of the laws,” said Captain Joe Williams. “We hope that having the cameras, which are highly visible, will do just that. For those who choose not to comply, there will be consequences.”
The fine for each violation will be $75 for the first 2 notices received within a one year period. The fine increases to $200 if a registered owner receives more than 2 in that one year. The notices, which are in violation of the city ordinance, are civil violations only and will not appear on a person’s driving record.
The cameras have been placed at Dallas Parkway/Main Street and Dallas Parkway/Gaylord Parkway. There will be a 30-day warning period, where warning notices will be sent to violators with no fine. After the warning period expires, actual notices of violation will be mailed to the registered owners, along with instructions on how to remedy that violation.
The third red light camera will be installed at Dallas Parkway/Warren Parkway in the near future.

Flip It
Username: Flipit

Posted on Wednesday, September 27, 2006 - 10:35 pm:   

How long has the camera been at Dallas Parkway/Main Street?

Post Number: 312
Posted on Thursday, September 28, 2006 - 07:41 am:   

June 26, 2006 was the date enforcement began.

Bobby Sokhanvar
Username: Big_bobby

Posted on Wednesday, October 04, 2006 - 08:57 pm:   

any plans of putting the camera's on preston?

(Message edited by admin on October 05, 2006)

Post Number: 313
Posted on Thursday, October 05, 2006 - 09:43 am:   

We have requested permission from TxDot to add cameras on State Roads, including Preston Rd. We are awaiting their response.

Traffic Nerd

Posted on Monday, October 09, 2006 - 12:04 pm:   

Which intersections along Preston?

Post Number: 314
Posted on Thursday, October 12, 2006 - 07:48 am:   

Preston/Gaylord, Preston/Warren as well as 380/423 are the roads we have requested.

Brian C
Username: Brianc

Post Number: 116
Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 09:57 am:   

Where are the RLC's currently located?

Are there plans for more at this time?

John Bruce
Username: John_bruce

Post Number: 13
Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2007 - 01:32 pm:   

Westbound Main at Dallas Parkway and also Northbound Dallas Parkway at Gaylord. Yes, there are plans for more RLC's. See the above posts for some of the suggested locations.

Dan H
Username: Danh

Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 10:29 am:   

I have read several studies which indicate that red light camera enforcement increases the number of total accidents, such as rear end collisions. Do you have any local data for the number of accidents at locations in Frisco where the red light cameras are currently in use?

Did the city employed other methods such as adjusting yellow light duration prior to implementing the cameras?

Is there any documentation available on the traffic studies the City of Frisco conducted prior to the implementation of the cameras, and the proposed sites of the new camera locations?

application/pdfVDOT Study
07-vdot2[1].pdf (977.9 k)

Post Number: 357
Posted on Wednesday, October 24, 2007 - 08:56 am:   

From Lt. David Shilson:

After examining a years worth of data from the two intersections that Frisco has placed Red Light Cameras at here are the findings:

Crashes were reduced at Dallas Parkway and Main by 22.6%

Crashes were reduced at Dallas Parkway and Gaylord by 35.8%

Rear end collisions actually declined at both of these intersections since the cameras were installed. There were 10 fewer rear end collisions at Dallas Parkway and Main. There were also 10 fewer rear end collisions at Dallas Parkway and Gaylord.

The city did employ other methods to reduce crashes at these two intersections in addition to the installation of cameras. Yellow lights were verified at both intersections to be in compliance with the guidelines set forth by the Institute of Transportation Engineers. These same guidelines are utilized by all other cities in North Texas.

In accordance with new State Law, Frisco is required to provide studies prior to the installation of future Red Light Cameras at intersections. The law also establishes a committee of citizens that reviews these studies and gives input and recommendations accordingly.

If you have additional questions, contact Lt. Shilson at DShilson@friscotexas.gov

(Message edited by todd on October 25, 2007, after conferring with the traffic engineer, the yellows were VERIFIED to be in compliance. They were not lengthened as they were already in compliance)

(Message edited by todd on October 25, 2007)

Richard Cruz
Username: Cruz280

Posted on Wednesday, November 28, 2007 - 05:36 pm:   

I am interested to know if there are any criminal implications for not paying the civil citations issued by the red light cameras. As I understand it, the only recourse for the company that runs the red light cameras for non-payment is civil (primarily, a hit on your credit). Is there a point where non-payment becomes a criminal matter?

Post Number: 364
Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 10:12 am:   

No, it cannot become a criminal matter. This is an excerpt from SB1119 that became effective Sept 1, 2007

Sec.707.017.ENFORCEMENT. If the owner of a motor vehicle
is delinquent in the payment of a civil penalty imposed under this
chapter, the county assessor-collector or the Texas Department of
Transportation may refuse to register a motor vehicle alleged to
have been involved in the violation.
Sec.707.018.IMPOSITION OF CIVIL PENALTY NOT A CONVICTION.
The imposition of a civil penalty under this chapter is not a
conviction and may not be considered a conviction for any purpose.
Sec.707.019.FAILURE TO PAY CIVIL PENALTY. (a)If the
owner of the motor vehicle fails to timely pay the amount of the
civil penalty imposed against the owner:
(1)an arrest warrant may not be issued for the owner;
and
(2)the imposition of the civil penalty may not be
recorded on the owner ’s driving record.

Vickie Quilty
Username: Kelios

Posted on Thursday, January 17, 2008 - 10:41 am:   

Have red light enforcement cameras been installed at the Preston/Gaylord intersection yet? If so, who do I contact about getting copies of photographs that may have been taken?

Post Number: 368
Posted on Thursday, January 17, 2008 - 02:30 pm:   

There is no video enforcement camera installed at Preston/Gaylord.

mons
Username: Anonymous01

Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 06:23 pm:   

Hi! I'm doing a research project and I was wondering currently where are the red light cameras in the city of frisco? or on the borders of frisco like on el dorado

Post Number: 423
Posted on Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 08:11 am:   

They are located at Westbound Main St. at Dallas Parkway and Northbound Dallas Parkway at Gaylord.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: